Ann Arbor Housing Commission

Ann Arbor Housing Commission (AAHC) seeks to provide desirable housing and related supportive services for low-income individuals and families on a transitional and/or permanent basis. AAHC partners with housing and service providers to build healthy residential communities and promote an atmosphere of pride and responsibility. There is a waiting list.


727 Miller Ave.

Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Phone: (734) 794-6720

Website: https://www.a2gov.org/departments/Housing/Pages/default.aspx


Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

Avalon Housing

Avalon is a non-profit that manages and develops permanent supportive rental housing for people with extremely low incomes. 


1327 Jones Drive, Suite 102

Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Phone: (734) 663-5858

Email: info@avalonhousing.org
Website: www.avalonhousing.org

Federal Housing Administration (FHA)

The Federal Housing Administration provides mortgage insurance on loans made by FHA-approved lenders throughout the United States and its territories. FHA insures mortgages on single family and multifamily homes including manufactured homes and hospitals.

FHA Resource Center Phone:

(800) 225-5342

Website: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/fhahistory

Friends of the Master

Our purpose is to reduce recidivism by providing  friendship, spiritual, material and character building which citizens re-entering society from jail need to thrive as contributing members of the community.


616 Washtenaw Ave

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Phone: (734) 961-8400

Website: http://www.friendsofthemaster.org/

Habitat for Humanity

Habitat for Humanity offers help with housing, repairs and weatherization, as well as classes on how to be a successful homeowner.


950 Victors Way, Suite 50

Ann Arbor, MI 48108

Phone: (734) 677-1558

Website: http://www.h4h.org

Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

Housing Access for Washtenaw County (HAWC)

HAWC is Washtenaw County’s central intake for individuals and families who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness.


The central intake is the single point of entry for all emergency shelters and housing resources that are available to serve people experiencing homelessness in the county. You MUST CALL the Housing ACCESS intake number for an assessment to get housing in a shelter in Washtenaw County.

 Phone: (734) 961-1999

HAWC Call Center Hours:

Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm

Website: http://www.housingaccess.net/

Languages: Korean, English, all other languages as needed

Housing Bureau for Seniors

The Housing Bureau for Seniors serves older adults throughout Washtenaw County by helping them find affordable and appropriate housing. They offer several programs such as the Housing Counseling program, Homeshare program, Elderly Eviction Prevention program, and Foreclosure Prevention program.


Turner Senior Resource Center

2401 Plymouth Road, Suite C

Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Phone: (734) 998-9339

Website: http://www.med.umich.edu/seniors/

Interfaith Hospitality Network @ AlphaHouse

Alpha House shelters families for as long as 90 days. They also assist with finding stable housing and employment, play and support for children, transportation, and healthcare for clients.  


4290 Jackson Rd.

Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Phone: (734) 822-0220



MI Bridges

Through the MI Bridges website, individuals apply for State Emergency Relief (SER), which provides help or assistance for emergency housing, utility, or burial situations. The website allows individuals to apply for different benefits, manage their case, and explore resources.

Michigan Helping Hand Program

This website helps Michigan citizens facing economic hardship find the services they need.

Simply click on one of the five tabs for links to information about jobs and training,

unemployment benefits, health care, family support, and housing.

Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)

The MSHDA provides a variety of housing-related services to renters, landlords, homeowners, and the homeless.


The directory provides a search tool of all the MSHDA, HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit, and Rural Development financed developments in Michigan. Additionally, some local Public Housing Agencies have included their rental housing information in this search.

Phone: (855) 646-7432

Website: http://www.michigan.gov/mshda/

Email: MSHDA@michigan.gov

Directory: http://housing.state.mi.us/


MyMove.com is a free site offering many resources to help families prepare to move homes. The site also includes a guide to understanding, finding, and applying for income-restricted housing.

Ozone House

Ozone House is located in Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and the surrounding areas. This organization provides free, confidential, and voluntary shelter and support services to homeless* youth including runaways and high-risk youth ages 10-12 and their families.

*Homeless means a lack of safe, stable, reciprocal relationships and vulnerability to dangers such as physical assault, sexual assault, or human trafficking.

Youth Shelter:

1600 N. Huron River Drive

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Drop-in Center:

102 N. Hamilton St. 

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Crisis Line: (734) 662-2222

Business Line: (734) 662-2265 or

(734) 485-2222
Website: www.ozonehouse.org

Peace Neighborhood Center

Peace House Supportive Housing is a transitional housing facility for families in need. Call directly for more information.


1111 N. Maple Rd.

Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Phone: (734) 662-3564

Website: www.peaceneighborhoodcenter.org

Email: info@peaceneighborhoodcenter.org

SOS Community Services

SOS provides temporary shelter for larger families up to three months, with caring, intensive supportive services to help them become stable and find permanent, long-term housing. SOS also offers Rapid Re-Housing, in which homeless families are moved quickly into permanent affordable housing and receive rental assistance for up to 12 months.


114 North River St.

Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Phone: (734) 485-8730

To access shelter, please call the Housing Access for Washtenaw County at (734) 961-1999.

To apply for utility assistance, please call:

Website: http://soscs.org/

Safe House

This emergency shelter is specifically for survivors of domestic violence and their children.


4100 Clark Rd.

Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Business Phone: (734) 973-0242

24/7 Crisis Line: (734) 995-5444

TTY HelpLine: (734) 973-2227

Website: http://www.safehousecenter.org/

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-2pm

Shelter Association of Washtenaw County (SAWC)

The SAWC Delonis Shelter provides temporary housing to homeless individuals. It also provides non-residential services such as employment assistance, health care, meals, showers, and laundry for the homeless. Organizations like the DHHS and Michigan Works! offer support services on a weekly basis, and support groups such as AA are also available.


312 W. Huron St.

Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Phone: (734) 662-2829
Website: http://annarborshelter.org/about

Staples Family Center

The Staples Family Center is a safe, drug-free homeless shelter operated by The Salvation Army of Washtenaw County. Residents and house staff work together to keep the house running smoothly by assisting each other with meal preparations and daily chores.

The SFC provides:

  • A caseworker to each resident

  • Support groups (employment, substance abuse)

  • Spirituality group

  • Assistance with various life skills and health issues

  • Daily meals

  • Family environment


3660 Packard St.

Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Phone: (734) 961-1999

Synod Community Services

Synod provides permanent supportive housing for seniors who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. We are dedicated to the elimination of homelessness among the elderly through the development of supportive housing: low-income housing combined with support services.


615 S Mansfield St.

Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Phone: (734) 483-9363

Website: http://www.synodhelps.org/

Veteran Haven of Hope House

The Veterans Haven of Hope House is a two-year transitional housing program for homeless veterans, which provides individualized services to help transition them back into mainstream society. Veterans Haven of Hope House is operated by the Salvation Army of Washtenaw County. 

The VHHH provides:

  • Free housing

  • Individualized casework services

  • Weekly meetings with caseworkers

  • Continuing education


809 Henry St

Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: (734) 668-8353

Website: https://michiganlegalhelp.org/organizations-courts/community-services/veterans-haven-of-hope-house

Washtenaw County Mortgage and Tax Foreclosure Assistance

For those facing mortgage foreclosure, help is available from Housing of Urban Development (HUD) or Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) counselors at www.consumerfinance.gov/find-a-housing-counselor/.


Washtenaw County Community and Economic Development

415 W Michigan Avenue 2nd Floor

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Phone: (734) 222-9595

Website: https://www.washtenaw.org/740/Mortgage-Tax-Foreclosure

Washtenaw County Office of Community and Economic Development

The Office of Community and Economic Development offers many services such as the homebuyer education programs, home rehabilitation, and home weatherization.


415 W. Michigan Ave., 2nd Floor

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Phone: (734) 544-6748

Website: https://www.washtenaw.org/569/Community-Economic-Development

Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm

Washtenaw County Treasurer’s Office

The Washtenaw County Treasurer’s Office offers taxpayer assistance resources. The office can assist  you in automatic or partial payment arrangements, free, confidential, budget counseling, and locating community resources.


200 N. Main St. Suite 200 P.O. Box 8645

Ann Arbor, MI 48107

Phone: (734) 222-6600

Website: https://www.washtenaw.org/1157/Taxpayer-Assistance

Ypsilanti Housing Commission

The Ypsilanti Housing Commission provides public housing and Section 8 housing choice vouchers for the city of Ypsilanti. The Ypsilanti Housing Commission is committed to providing affordable, safe, and high quality housing opportunities.


601 Armstrong Dr.

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Phone: (734) 482-4300

Website: www.ypsilantihc.org

Missing or Inaccurate information?


Please email info@canwashtenaw.org with suggestions for updates.